Why train to teach English with Northern Lights?
- Outstanding schools with strong English departments including a team of Specialist Leaders of Education
English is a core subject in the National Curriculum and success in English is key to future success in further education and work.
Northern Lights has over 40 teachers designated as SLEs recognising their outstanding practice and ability to support colleagues. Approximately 25% of these, including our SCITT Subject Lead at Feversham College, have an English specialism. Trainees could not have better subject support.
Train to be an English teacher with Northern Lights and make a difference to the students in our schools.
- An honours degree at classification 2.2 or above (or other evidence of appropriate subject knowledge)
- Advanced level qualifications (or equivalent) in English
- GCSE at Grade C or above in English and Maths
- Enhanced DBS, Barred List and Child Care Disqualification checks
- Medical check
|Desirable skills and qualities
- Passion for working with children and young people
- Commitment to teaching as a future career
- Resilience to meet the challenges of the training year and beyond
- Recent classroom experience in the UK (10 days recommended)
- Strong communication skills in written and spoken English
- Some understanding of the key issues relating to teaching and learning in their subject area/age group