(French, German and Spanish)
Why Train to Teach MFL with Northern Lights?
- Bursary of up to £25,000
- Outstanding MFL Departments in partner schools
- Schools with international links
- Lead school for Teacher Subject Specialist Training in MFL
MFL teachers are in demand as the globalised modern world needs people who can communicate in a wide range of languages.
The Northern Lights MFL programme is led by our partner school, Belle Vue Girls’ Academy, which has designation as a Language College. With a depth of expertise, both in the teaching staff and the Language Assistant team, the school is well placed to provide our trainees with excellent training and support.
Our ability to deliver high quality training has been recognised by the Department for Education through our designation as a provider of Teacher Subject Specialism Training in Modern Foreign Languages. We work with both colleagues wishing to return to the classroom as MFL teachers and those teaching other subjects but wanting to develop their capacity to teach languages.
Involvement in Erasmus projects has developed relationships with partners in Germany, Portugal, Poland and Bulgaria.
To have the opportunity to train with dedicated subject specialists committed to developing future colleagues, apply to the Northern Lights SCITT programme.
- An honours degree at classification 2.2 or above (or other evidence of appropriate subject knowledge)
- Advanced level qualifications (or equivalent) in a Modern Foreign Language
- GCSE at Grade C or above in English and Maths
- Enhanced DBS, Barred List and Child Care Disqualification checks
- Medical check
|Desirable skills and qualities
- Passion for working with children and young people
- Commitment to teaching as a future career
- Resilience to meet the challenges of the training year and beyond
- Recent classroom experience in the UK (10 days recommended)
- Strong communication skills in written and spoken English
- Some understanding of the key issues relating to teaching and learning in their subject area/age group